It was an awesome cake. Rich and chocolaty!! Ooooh! I LOVE CHOCOLATE!!!!! My friends had never eaten raw desserts before and were literally moaning when they ate it. They even begged to take a piece home to have the next day.
Chocolate Fudge Layer Cake w/Raspberry Filling
For the Fudge Cake:
1/3 cup raw cacao powder or unsweetened cocoa powder
10 dates, pitted - medjool, unsoaked
pinch of sea salt
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp filtered water
1/2 tsp coconut oil (optional - I prefer it without)
Organic Shredded Coconut flakes
1c fresh or frozen raspberries. Thaw and drain.
1/4 cup medjool dates, pitted and soaked
1/4 cup agave nectar or maple syrup
1/2 tsp vanilla extract (optional) or almond extract or combo
3/4 cup mashed avocados
5 medjool dates, pitted
1/4 cup plus 2T unsweetened cocoa powder or carob powder
* For the layer cake, double the Cake recipe above.
For the Cake:
- Place the walnuts, cacao powder and salt in food processor with S-blade until ground.
- Add dates, (pulse until well mixed).
- Add extract, and optional coconut oil.
- Process until mixture begins to stick together.
- Add water and process briefly.
- Sprinkle bottom of a 5 - 6" round dish with shredded coconut. (For layer cake you will need two of these.) Spread cake mixture into bottom of each round dish, or form into stackable cakes. Use spatula around edges to carefully compact sides of cake. Place in freezer to firm while making frosting and filling.
For the Filling:
- Place ingredients in high speed blender or processor.
- Process until smooth. Will keep in refrigerator for 3 days.
Place dates, agave and extract in food processor process until very smooth.
- Add avocado and and process until creamy.
- Add cacao powder and process until smooth.
- Stop and scrape occasionally with rubber spatula. Add water (for Mousse recipe) and process briefly. (Keeps for 3 days in refrigerator or 2 wks in freezer.)
- Take cake pans from freezer and set one in sink of shallow HOT water just until bottom starts to separate from pan.
- Use dull knife to carefully scrap around side of cake and gently release from pan. Place first cake plate (coconut covered side up) and cover with raspberry filling..
- Release 2nd cake from pan and set carefully on top of raspberry filling.
- Frost cake with Chocolate Frosting mixture.
- Decorate with a dollop of raspberry filling and fresh raspberries. Sprinkle with shredded coconut or chopped nuts.Refrigerate, to firm, but bring to room temperature before serving.
This picture (to left) was my second attempt at this cake, with some modifications. This second recipe is a little more gourmet and equally yummy. Click HERE for the modified version.
*There are lots of options with this recipe. Get creative. Skip the raspberry and use a nut butter filling. I am thinking some ground hazelnut mixed into the cake or icing mixture might add a nice flavor?