As you know, and are probably tired of hearing, I'm in love with Medicine Flower Extracts!! The flavors are so right on, and they have truly expanded my ability to create a much wider variety of recipes. There is nothing out there that compares to them. These are what I'm using in my recipes now, because I truly adore them and I'm getting results I could not get before. The other day I made a Strawberry Lime Mousse Cake and loved it so much, that I started thinking about mousse cakes in a bunch of different flavors. I could probably do a recipe book just on mousse cakes.
The extracts I'm using are super concentrated, so you only need a few drops. If you're using other extracts, please adjust accordingly. I'm having a blast checking out the different blends of flavors. This recipe uses a combination of Dark Chocolate and Coffee. OH MY GOODNESS! Seriously decadent, beautiful, rich and sexy!
*Note: If you are using other extracts, you are adding more liquid to the base. You may need to add a little extra psyllium husk powder.
Creamy Mocha Mousse Cake
If you really like the flavor of coffee as much as I do, add an extra drop or two and create a deeper coffee flavor, rather than mocha. I like it, which is funny considering I'm not a coffee drinker. Try different flavor extract combinations, using the same basic recipe and see what you come up with!
For the Crust:
1 cup walnuts
1/4 cup macadamia nuts
1/2 cup medjool dates, pitted and chopped
1 Tbsp cacao powder (optional)
pinch of vanilla bean powder or 1 drop Vanilla Medicine Flower Extract
For the Mocha Mousse:
1 cup cashew, soaked 3-4 hours
1/4 cup macadamia nuts
3 Tbsp cacao butter, melted (about 1/4 cup shaved)
3 Tbsp cacao paste, melted(about 1/4 cup shaved)
1 tsp coconut oil, melted
1 tsp sunflower lecithin, (optional)
1/4 cup *Irish moss paste (optional, or add 1 Tbs melted cacao butter and 1 Tbsp ground chia)
1/2 cup maple syrup or your favorite combination of sweeteners
1/2 cup filtered water
1/2 tsp of chocolate extract or 3 drops Medicine Flower Dark Chocolate Extract
1/2 tsp of coffee extract or 3 drops Medicine Flower Coffee Extract
1/4 cup coconut water or water (add more as needed to blend)
1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp cacao powder
pinch sea salt
1 Tbsp psyllium husk powder
For the Mocha Glaze:
2 Tbsp cacao powder
3 Tbsp cacao butter, melted
2 tsp coconut oil, melted
2 - 3 Tbsp yacon syrup (agave or honey)
1 drop Medicine Flower Coffee Extract (or 1/3 tsp liquid extract)
water as needed to thin
For the Crust:
- Process ingredients until it starts to ball up.
- Lightly dust bottom of a 5 - 6" spring form pan with cacao powder.
- Press crust, firmly into bottom of dish.
- Melt cacao butter, cacao paste and coconut oil. I place them in a medium metal bowl with hot water in a small metal bowl.
- Set medium bowl on top of smaller hot water bowl and allow to melt.
- In blender, mix cashews, macadamia nuts, water, maple syrup and and blend until creamy.
- Add melted ingredients and blend. Add remaining ingredients and then psyllium husk powder, and blend until creamy.
- Taste for sweetness and flavor. Adjust as needed.
- Melt cacao butter and coconut oil in metal bowl over hot water.
- Stir in remaining ingredients. (Warm over water again to re-melt and spread over cake)
- Pour 1/2 mousse mixture over crust.
- Spread a thin layer of Mocha Glaze over top of cake and cover with remaining mousse mixture.
- Refrigerate for several hours to set.
- Remove from pan. Spread Mocha Glaze over top of cake.
- Garnish with chopped walnuts. Refrigerate overnight to set.
- Drizzle Mocha Glaze onto plate, add slice of cake and serve.
Note: If you purchase any Medicine Flower products, mention Rawfully Tempting, (in the Shipping Comments) and receive an extra special bonus sample with your order.
*How to Prepare Irish Moss Paste : Soak handful of moss in water in refrigerator 6 - 12 hours, rinse and replace water twice.
Rinse. Chop 1 cup of moss in small pieces. (Put remaining moss back into fresh water and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks, changing water daily).
Blend 1 cup soaked and chopped Irish moss with 2 cups water. Blend well, and frequently scrape sides of blender. Make sure there are no small pieces... be patient. Refrigerate remaining paste for up to 10 days. (Works great on skin as a mask too!)