The mushroom was tender and juicy from the marinade. The toppings were intensely flavorful. I am finding that you need to go very light on the accents, because the flavors really pack a punch! I cut tiny slivers of red and green bell pepper, red onions, tomatoes, black olives, fresh basil...and it's amazing how potent those little toppings were.
I'm still having a slight problem adjusting to cool food in the middle of winter. During the day it's not a big deal, but in the evening, W and I both prefer to sit down to something warm. We had some cream of broccoli soup with my favorite cashew cream. The mushroom was tender and juicy from the marinade.
This nut cheese recipe is very easy and very quick.
Suggestion: I grabbed a piece of almond bread from the freezer, warmed it in the dehydrator, spread a little leftover nut cheese on top, and served with the pizza. YUMM! They went very well together...since there is no "bread" in the pizza crust, it was an enjoyable flavor and texture combined with the veggie pie. We ended the meal with a lovely salad made by W. I did this from my head and never measured anything, so these are approximate measurements. Be creative and experiment with your own version! Have fun!
Ingredients for the Crust:
4 large portobello mushrooms
coconut water vinegar ( or apple cider vinegar. cwv is more mild)
For the Marinara Sauce:
3 - 4 small tomatoes, roughly chopped
5-6 sun dried tomatoes, chopped (soaked if not soft)
1 medjool date, pitted and chopped
1-2 cloves garlic, crushed
fresh basil, chopped
1 tsp oregano
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
cayenne pepper to taste
For the Quick "Ricotta" Cheese:
1 cup raw macadamia nuts (soaked 1 hour)
water to barely cover nuts in blender
pinch of sea salt and dash of pepper
1/2 Tbsp light unpasteurized miso (optional)
1 Tbsp basil, finely chopped
1/4 small red onion, chopped
1/2 clove garlic, crushed (or more per taste)
For the Toppings:
1/2 small zucchini thinly sliced, lengthwise using peeler.
6 baby bella mushrooms, thinly sliced and marinated
5-6 black olives, thinly sliced
1/4 small red onion, thinly sliced into slivers
1/4 cup red and orange bell peppers, thinly sliced
1 small tomato, thinly sliced
several basil leaves, chopped
salt, pepper, oregano, to taste
Directions for Mushroom "Crusts"
- Clean mushrooms. Remove stem. (Peel off skin and scrape out gills gently with a teaspoon)
- Massage marinade on both sides mushroom.
- Set in marinade, cap side up for 30 min and then flip to other side and massage marinade and seasonings into underside of mushroom. Set 30 min.
Mix ingredients in a high speed blender or food processor until smooth. Set aside.
Direction For Cheese
- Mix macadamia nuts with only enough water to cover and blend until thick, smooth and creamy.
- Add salt and pepper, miso, basil, onion, garlic, or whatever additional herbs and spices you like).
- Mix well. Return to refrigerator for several hours, or serve immediately.
Directions for Assembly:
1 layer of marinara sauce, spread with spatula.\1 layer of zucchini slices (lengthwise).
- Spread a layer of nut cheese using a dull knife or small spatula.
- Add toppings: marinated mushroom slices, red and green bell pepper slivers, olive slices, tomatoes, basil, shredded zucchini, red onion, salt, pepper and oregano (to taste).
- Dehydrate at 105 degrees for 2-3 hours on a non-stick sheet covered tray.