Smoky Hot Onion Rings
4 medium onions, thinly sliced
BBQ Sauce Ingredients
2 Tablespoons lemon juice
2 Tablespoons olive oil
3 Tablespoons sunflower seeds
1 Tablespoon chia seeds
4 sun dried tomato (soaked and chopped)
1 Tablespoon onion powder
2 Tablespoons maple syrup (grade B or your favorite sweetener)
1 1/2 teaspoons cilantro, dried
1 teaspoon basil, dried
3/4 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon hot red chili powder (SPICY)
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/8 teaspoon cayenne (eliminate if you want this less spicy)
1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke (optional - but really gives the BBQ authentic flavor)
OPTION : Instead of liquid smoke - try using smoked paprika or smoked sun dried tomatoes.
1. Add ingredients to blender and mix until sunflower seeds and tomatoes are completely processed.
2. Thinly slice onion rings.(Cauliflower and other veggies work great too)
3. Dip into BBQ Sauce, coating well, and place on mesh dehydrator tray. (Double up mesh trays, if you have extra).
4. Dehydrate 10 to 12 hours at 110 degrees F. Option: Halfway through, flip onion rings and brush more BBQ sauce on, return to dehydrator.
5. Suggestion: put a drip tray or large sheet of parchment paper in bottom of dehydrator to catch drippings.
Store in airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
Dehydrators: I get a lot of questions regarding dehdyrators.My two favorites are the Excalibur 9 tray (with timer) and the TSM D10. What I love about the TSM is that it's stainless steel, the fan is much quieter, and it's a more commercial machine. Both work well, so decide what works best with your budget.