Who says we have to eat junk on the holiday? Spend time with your loved ones and warm up with these deep chocolate/spicy delights.
Chocolate-Almond Energy Bites
3 Tablespoons cacao paste or nibs grated or slightly ground
1/4 cup cacao butter, grated
1 cup sunflower seeds, soaked 2 hours
1 cup almonds (soaked overnight)
2 Tablespoons hemp seeds (optional)
2 Tablespoons ground flax seed
1/4 cup chia seeds
1 apple, peeled and roughly chopped
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/8 teaspoon sea salt
1 cup Medjool dates, chopped
6 Tablespoons almond flour or pulp
6 Tablespoons maple syrup (or honey)
1 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 teaspoon mesquite powder (opt)
1/8 teaspoon cayenne powder
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup dried coconut
1/4 cups walnuts, soaked overnight
1/4 cup raisins
1/2 cup buckwheat, sprouted and dehydrated (optional)
3 Tablespoons dried, unsweetened coconut, powdered
3 Tablespoons cacao powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1. Melt cacao paste, cacao butter and coconut oil
in dehydrator or double-boiler and set aside.
2. In food processor, mix sunflower seeds, almonds, hemp, flax, chia, apple, lemon juice, salt, dates and cacao powder until well combined.
3. Add almond flour and sweetener, then add melted ingredients, extracts, mesquite, cayenne, cinnamon, and mix well.
4. Add coconut, walnuts, raisins, and buckwheat. Pulse chop, and do not pulverize.
5. Transfer to bowl and knead ingredients by hand. Taste and adjust sweetness or spiciness as desired.
6. Roll into 1" balls or squares by hand or with molds.
1. Roll in any of the following: dried coconut, (powdered in a coffee or nut grinder), chopped nuts, cacao powder and/or cinnamon.
2. Place on mesh dehydrator tray and dehydrate at 110 degrees F for 8 to 10 hours (or freeze as is).
When forming balls, press a single sliver of chopped dates in center.
When forming balls, press a bit of almond or nut butter into center.
Store in airtight container or freeze to extend shelf life.
Sprout and dehydrate buckwheat in advance and store in freezer.
Check out the Rawfully Tempting Recipe Boutique for my latest eBook - Living Cookies and other gourmet recipes.