The frosting and filling came out extremely tasty!!! Both cakes disappeared very quickly. The Anniversary couple had some leftover to share with their family. Hopefully they enjoyed it too! This is a bit of a project, but I've tried to break it down step by step. You can do it!
Many of the ingredients here were selected for optimum richness and flavor, however, you can substitute and switch out ingredients as you please. Experiment with what I have here. Let your inner chef shine!
Double Fudge "Peanut Butter" and Banana Layer Cake
For the Cake:
<1/4 cup cacao butter shaved or grated (microplane works great)
<1/4 cup cacao paste, shaved or grated
1 1/4 cup medjool dates, pitted and soaked
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1 cup walnuts, (soaked overnight and dried well - or dehydrated)
1/4 cup macadamia nuts
2/3 cup cacao powder
1/4 cup maple syrup - (or *YFS to taste)
2 Tbsp mesquite powder (optional)
1/4 cup goji berries - soaked
For the Creamy Chocolate Frosting:
1/4 cup macadamia nuts
2 Tbsp nut butter
1/4 cup cacao powder
<1/4 cup cacao butter, shaved and melted (should equal about 2 Tbsp of melted cb)
<1/4 cup cacao paste shaved and melted (should equal about 2 Tbsp of melted cp)
1 tsp mesquite powder
1 tsp lucuma powder
1/4 cup grade B maple syrup or *YFS(liquid)
1 tsp vanilla extract or 2 drops Dark Chocolate Medicine Flower Extract
1/2 tsp hazelnut extract or 1 -2 drops Hazelnut Medicine Flower Extract
dash of sea salt
walnuts for garnish
For Peanut Butter Filling:
2 Tbsp Creamy Chocolate Frosting (above)
2 Tbsp raw honey or liquid sweetener, to taste
1 tsp sunflower lecithin (opt - it emulsifies and makes a great frosting)
water (as needed)
1 banana, thinly sliced
*YFS - Your Favorite Sweetener
For the Cake:
- Melt cacao butter and cacao paste in dehydrator (metal bowl works best) or place one metal bowl over another filled with hot water.
- In food processor, mix pitted dates, sunflower seeds, macadamia nuts and walnuts.
- Add cacao powder, mesquite powder, and sweetener. Process.
- Add melted cacao butter, and cacao paste and process into mixture. Drain goji berries and process into mixture until everything starts to clump together..
- Use (2) 4.5" to 5" non-stick spring form pans, or (2) 5" round glass dishes, at least 1" deep.
Tip- Sprinkle bottom of spring form pans with cacao powder. (tap and shake to spread even and shake off excess). This works great to help remove cake from pan later.
Using a rubber spatula, press1/2 of cake mixture into each dish or spring form pan and place in freezer for 1 hour. Run spatula along outside edge of cake to separate from side of dish and keep in freezer until needed.
For the Chocolate Frosting:
- Pre-Crush macadamia nuts in a nut grinder or with a chopper.
- In food processor, mix macadamia nuts until fine.
- Add avocado and nut butter, and mix until creamy. Add sunflower lecithin.
- Melt the cacao paste and butter as suggested above. Stir and add to mixture in food processor.
- Add mesquite powder, lucuma powder, agave and dark chocolate and hazelnut extract. Add a dash of sea salt. Scrape sides of processor bowl and continue to process until smooth.
For the PB Filling:
In processor or high speed blender, combine frosting, nut butter, honey, and yacon and mix until creamy. Add water in small amounts to thin, as needed.
For the Assembly:
- Remove one cake layer from pan (leave 2nd in freezer).
- Arrange on a flat plate. Spread Filling on top of cake layer, leaving 1/8" space around edge. Set aside remaining Filling for decorating cake.
- Layer thinly sliced bananas, overlapping slightly. Set in freezer for 30 minutes.
- Remove both layers from freezer and 2nd layer (top) from spring-form pan. Place on top layered cake.
- Using an offset spatula, start to fill the outside gap between layers with Frosting, and gradually frost entire cake generously. Place in refrigerator for 30 minutes to set. Optional: Using a pastry bag and tip, decorate/pipe the cake using the leftover Peanut Butter Filling. TIP- place filled pastry bag with Peanut Butter Filling in freezer for 30 minutes before decorating.
- Garnish center with a raw walnut half, pressed into a dollop of Peanut Butter Filling.
- Store in freezer and defrost for 2 hours prior to serving.