Always rinse lentils and pick out stones and other debris. There's no need to soak them. Store lentils in a cool, dry place.
French Lentil Chili
1 large onion
1 stalk of celery
4 Tbsp olive oil
1 1/2 tsp sea salt, to taste
Freshly ground black pepper
1 1/2 cups French green lentils
3 cups organic vegetable broth
1 cup water
2 Tbsp lemon juice
2 tsp chili paste (optional)
1/2 each, red, yellow, orange or green peppers
3/4 cup mushrooms, chopped
1 1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Cut carrots, onions,tomato,celery, and peppers into 1 large chunks.
- Toss in a bowl with 2 tablespoons of oil and a dash of salt and pepper.
- Spread on a baking sheet. Roast the vegetables for about an hour, or until they are soft and
- browned, stirring and turning during the roasting.
- Let them cool and then chop them into smaller course chunks..
- Combine washed green lentils in a large soup pot with 4 cups water and 1 teaspoon of salt. Bring to a boil, and simmer, covered, for 25 minutes, or until the lentils are tender but still firm.
- Drain the lentils. Add the chopped roasted vegetables, vegetable broth, and other ingredients to the lentils.
- Simmer for about 30 minutes and adjust the seasoning as needed. Remove the stew from heat and stir in 2 tablespoons olive oil, and serve over spiralized zucchini or rice.
- Garnish with parsley or rosemary and slivers of avocado slices.